Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Amish country and Cherry Pie

This last weekend I went along as a staff leader on a field trip for our international students to Amish country. This trip was a huge success last year, with the Amish just as excited to see the international students as the students were to see the Amish. We had a smaller group this year, but I think they all had just as much fun.

I didn't take as many pictures this year, as I've been there several times now, but I did take two at our lunch that I think demonstrate one of the best things about this field trip: the food! We went to a cheese shop, a bakery, a school house, a quilt shop that also makes homemade jams and jellies, an outdoor auction with lots of food, and a downtown shopping district that was full of old fashioned candies and quilt stores! You may have noticed that a majority of these stops included food, and therefore included lots of free samples. 

These stops, however, don't include the Thresher's Lunch we had at a catering hall in an Amish home. There we had fried chicken, meat loaf, mashed potatoes, warm bread, vegetables, broccoli slaw and PIE! 

Here is my piece of homemade cherry pie. 

And here is the pie pan after the table of students had finished with it. Needless to say, I was tempted to lick the pie tin out, but I resisted.

This is why I've gone for two runs and two long walks in the past two days! 

A good time was had by all, and it was nice to visit some quilting shops in preparation for the upcoming trip to Paducah with the Momcat for the annual AQS show! This will be our second trip there, and I've got some great surprises for Momcat that I'm working on! Hopefully I'll get everything done before she arrives on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks so much for reading my blog-I hope you enjoyed it! Comments are super festive and really make my day!