Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

Adventures with Accupuncture

So part of my focus for the last year or so (I think we could safely say since January 4, 2009) has been to work on finding ways to reduce my high levels of stress and anxiety. I have tried many things. Some more successful than others. 

Not eating very much=not so helpful

Exercising regularly=helpful

Office drama and politics=not helpful

Trying to find ways to accept that some things are beyond my control via a variety of spiritual practices=helpful

Attending NAMI (National Alliance for Mental Illness) support group for families=helpful

Telling the N-boy "I don't care what you think!" in my attempt to use "I" statements=not helpful

Taking time for my own hobbies=helpful

So in this vein of seeking "things that help" (a very technical process, as you can see) I volunteered to try acupuncture at a recent programming event at work that was part of a larger celebration of all things international. 

This is me and one of my students, both being treated for stress.

Four little needles in our arms and one in each ear.
The jury is still out, however, on the helpfulness of said treatment. The acupuncturist said that it usually takes between six and 12 treatments before it really works. Although it was surprisingly unpainful, I'm not really inclined to get an additional set of treatments right now. But I certainly won't rule it out in the future!






1 comment:

  1. You are braver than I! Although I had a friend with migraines who swore by acupuncture.

    As far as stress, have you tried relaxing music? I used to roll my eyes at that stuff but then I found a free mp3 download album at Amazon with the rain sounds and birds along with music. It's surprisingly effective for me.

    Boy do I understand stress! And saying the wrong things to the kids. You are not alone.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks so much for reading my blog-I hope you enjoyed it! Comments are super festive and really make my day!