Pages

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Fourth of July Weekend

For the Fourth of July weekend the N-boy and I went to visit his parents up in Green Bay, Wisconsin. As I'd mentioned in my previous post, I was nervous about this visit, due to the N-boy's getting so sick this spring (he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder-more about that in the future, when I'm ready. Let's just say it was a very rough spring here.) Well, it was a GREAT visit-perhaps one of our best trips to see them. We were able to have some good conversations out the health situation, ate some good food and saw beautiful scenery. I can't wait to go back!

Here's the front of their new house.The floor plan is eerily identical to the parsonage they moved out of!The first night there we went to eat at Applebee's up at Sturgeon Bay. Food was ok, but the view from the table was great.
Sturgeon Bay is where they build very large ships.
On Saturday we spent the whole day up in Door County. We stopped at a Piggly Wiggly along to way to get the makings for a picnic on the beach.
The N-boy insisted we get a picture of the sign.
Here is a picture of the water in Green Bay. I didn't even know there actually was a Green Bay. Look how clear the water is!We spend a lot of time just walking around some of the cute little towns in the area. Lots of them were Scandinavian themed. This one had a sod roof with goats on the top!Here is D-Mil and I in front of the goats. For the celebration that night we were invited to a cottage on Green Bay by some of D-Fil's congregation members. It was an adorable little cabin, and had a great dock, beach, and view of the bay. We had a super delicious dinner (BBQ ribs, corn, salads, desserts) and then waited for it to get dark.

The N-boy sat looking out at the Bay and relaxed.

And he watched the sun go down.


When it got dark there were HUNDREDS of (likely illegal) fireworks all along the bay. They just kept going and going. It was super nifty, especially with all of the bonfires people lit, as well. Unfortunately, all of my fireworks pictures just look like a bunch of pretty dots in the sky, so I won't make anyone suffer through those. Clearly my night time photography skills could use some improvement.

Overall, though, I think both of us had a great weekend, and I think the N-boy's family did too. Sunday was highly uneventful; we attended church, drove back to Indiana, and managed to get extremely lost in Chicago when we accidentally got off I-90 and couldn't figure out how to get onto Lake Shore. But we made it back, and even had time for me to relax by the pool for a bit. I hope everyone out there had a great holiday weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, wonderful blog. Pictures tell the story as well as your very good writing. And and good time was had by all....
    Good night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like a great get away! love the sunset pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great weekend! Nice and relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how funny! I was watching some of those same fireworks across the bay in Menominee, MI! We sat on one of our local beaches after our fireworks and watched the ones from Door County. They looked small but we could see all of them, all along the whole shoreline. It was neat to see. We didn't know if they were from people's houses or from the little towns.

    You were sitting on the other side! What a small world!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks so much for reading my blog-I hope you enjoyed it! Comments are super festive and really make my day!