Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Raised Vegetable Beds

In this third year of home ownership I decided to again try my hand at a vegetable garden. We planted a garden the first spring we were in the house, and I learned some very VERY important lessons about reading and believing the information printed on seed packets.

Lesson 1: If the seed packet says that the acorn squash seeds need to be 3-5 feet apart, it is serious. It is not an attempt to deceive you. Do not plant the seeds one foot apart.

Lesson 2: If you fail to follow lesson one, you cannot use tomato cages to corral fully grown squash plants. But your husband will get a kick out of watching you try.

Lesson 3: Gardens have to be weeded, not just watered. That same water you give to the plants is also a favorite drink of the weeds. Your husband will not get a kick out of coming home after a week away for research and discovering that you have adapted the mindset that if you ignore the weeds they will go away.

Last year because of some crazy uncertainness about what our plans were (moving or not) we didn't do a garden. But this year we decided to give it another go, this time with raised beds. Our house sits on the side of an old railroad embankment, so even though the trains and tracks are long gone, a lot of bricks, glass and other debris remain in the soil. My friend Bob helped me build the beds [this adventure, aka Laura's Adventure with Power Tools, will be elaborated on in a separate post], and then the MomCat volunteered herself to fill them with soil when she was here for an extended visit.

Daddo started the seeds and then sent the seedlings out with the MomCat. Here is how they looked when I planted them on May 14.

Note the tape measure. Yes. I really did measure. 

Daddo sent me a several types of each vegetable, so I buried the cups next to the plant so I'll know what's what. 

I'd like to raid Pinterest for cute little plant markers. Maybe this weekend. 

And here is how they look on June 11. I can't believe how much they've grown in less than a month! 



I've got broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, eggplants and tomatoes. So far I've only lost one of the tomato plants, and he was sickly looking to begin with so it totally doesn't count.

What are you growing in your garden this year? Any tips for a successful garden?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for checking out my blog!
    I wish I was good at gardening! I'd love to grow my own veggies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! We'll see how good I actually am come harvest time!

      Delete
  2. Glad to see the plants survived the trip to you place and are prospering. The ones in our garden are doing well, too, despite some unidentified varmit burrowing its way under fences and walls into the garden.

    I have been boarding up entry spots with boards and chicken wire together, and have put an additional run of rabbit fence, so I may have solved the problem. But, it is too soon to do a "Victory Dance", because I remember the repeated frustrations that the MomCat had with her squirrels getting into her bird feeders.

    Daddo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the only person I know who could use the word varmit in a sentence in total seriousness. Gold star for you.

      Delete

Hi! Thanks so much for reading my blog-I hope you enjoyed it! Comments are super festive and really make my day!