Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Adventures in Canning: Pints of Pickled Peppers.

As mentioned in the previous post, our garden has provided a bountiful supply of banana peppers. So far we'd just been grilling them (which was quite tasty), but the N-boy suggested that we try pickling and canning them (of course, pickled banana peppers is one of his favorite foods-go figure). Although I did canning last year, I was HIGHLY supervised by a friend who was teaching a few of us how to can. Needless to say, I was a little anxious about attempting this adventure on our own and creating a product that won't give anyone food poisoning. I did lots of reading ahead of time in a couple of books and online to make sure I still remembered the basics. 

We prepared the peppers by slicing them into rings and deseeding them. 

The N-boy hard at work.

All ready for the brine solution! The darker jar is a batch of jalapenos from the Farmer's Market.

Into the canning bath they go.

Tada! Five jars total! And they all sealed! 



Although we haven't tried them yet, they all look great. We heard the ping of sealing happiness when they came out of the boiling water and they all tested fine the next day. Can't wait to give them a try!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks so much for reading my blog-I hope you enjoyed it! Comments are super festive and really make my day!